The International Certificate of Competence Theory
Please note that this is a fully supported course. If you do have any problems with any of the course work we will be happy to assist. Work through the lectures and ask for the Tiller test paper when you consider you are ready.
This course covers much the same material as the RYA Day Skipper on the relevant topics. It does not make use of the RYA’s electronic chart plotting software.
The course leads to a Tiller Course Completion Certificate.
- You’ll cover chartwork, tides collision regulations, and magnetic compasses. The course then teaches you about pilotage (entering and leaving harbour) and how to plan and make a passage. Our ‘Reading a Chart’ study guide helps you understand the key chart symbols.
- The level is at RYA Day Skipper for the topics covered but you are assessed on the basis of a series of tests rather than the RYA’s coursework. There are no formal exams.
- You will need navigation instruments and we supply good quality plotters and dividers at competitive prices.
- The course does not have an exam but assessment is made by a series of tests which are submitted and marked.
If you are in any doubt about your knowledge of the ‘seamanship’ topics covered in the RYA Day Skipper course we think that you should opt for that course. As a rough guide this course will take about 70 to 75% of the time for the full RYA Day Skipper course.
ICC Practical – important note. This course does NOT exempt you in any way from the normal ICC assessment covering your theoretical and practical knowledge and skills. It is intended to provide you with a good theoretical background that will supplement your practical skills. An examination covering inland waterways (CEVNI) regulations can be arranged for an additional fee. Please contact the office for information on price.
Tiller’s standard package £ 190
You will receive a complete course comprising:
- Tiller study material on CD, which you may print as part of your studies or use on your computer. Expect 200-300 pages and many illustrations in colour.
- Tiller study guides including a course planning guide, chart symbols and a nautical glossary.
- Interactive modules on CD to help you visualise and understand key topics in the course.
- Selected RYA and MCA booklets.
- Practice charts and tables.
- A 2B pencil for chartwork.
- Marking and support including up to one year access to ‘tiller-online’ – our easy to use web system that allows you to download course modules, check for updates and see FAQs and hints and tips.
- Issue of Tiller completion certificate.
- Courier delivery to most UK addresses.
- Tiller study material in printed format.
- Navigation instruments. Plotter, high quality brass and stainless steel dividers, sharpener and eraser.
- Book Bundle. The three textbooks referred to in our study material. Not really required for this level of course but very nice to have on your bookshelf and a good ‘lead in’ to the next course level.
You DO NOT need a computer to work with these Tiller courses. The paper based study material is complete in its own right and many of our students positively prefer to work with paper.