RYA COASTAL SKIPPER and YACHTMASTER OFFSHORE
This is an advanced course and you will need some prior theoretical knowledge (roughly Day Skipper or equivalent) to take it. The chartwork is more advanced, the collision regulations are fully covered and meteorology is a major part of the syllabus.
It leads to the award of the RYA ‘Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore shorebased’ completion certificate. This is the theory foundation you’ll need as you progress towards the Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore practical qualifications.
Some prior knowledge is required
If you have the Day Skipper certificate (or an equivalent level of knowledge) then this is the right course for you. It shouldn’t matter if you are fairly ‘rusty’ because our course includes a lot of ‘Day Skipper level’ revision material.
You will find the course extremely challenging if you cannot read a chart and carry out basic plotting and tidal calculations. If you are a complete beginner then this is unlikely to be the right course for you.
Tiller’s standard package £ 355.
You will receive a complete course comprising:
- Tiller study material on CD, from which you may print as part of your studies or use on your computer. Expect about 400 pages and many illustrations in colour.
- Tiller study guides including a course planning guide, chart symbols, nautical glossary and the RYA’s electronic chart plotter. Only course guide printed.
- Additional material on CD lets you (optionally) delve deeper into some aspects of navigation. Revision material is there in case of need.
- Interactive modules on CD help you to visualise and understand key topics in the course.
- RYA student pack (charts, exercises and practice tables and electronic plotter).
- A 2B pencil for chartwork.
- Marking and support including one year access to ‘tiller-online’ – our easy to use web system that allows you to download course modules, check for updates and see FAQs and hints and tips.
- Exams (which are sat at home on completion of course work) and issue of certificate.
- Courier delivery to most UK addresses.
- Printed Tiller study material. You can start studying ‘out of the box’ with our smart colour printed and individually bound set of study ‘lectures’.
- Printed ‘Additional’ and Revision material. Ideal if you haven’t got access to a printer and computer.
- Book Bundle. The three textbooks referred to in our study material. You’ll need a book on the collision regulations and we think these three books are as good as they get.
- Navigation instruments. You may well have your own set. If not then our divider and plotter set including sharpener and eraser is good quality and competitively priced.
- Second Student Study with a partner or friends and receive a significant discount. Can only be ordered when ordering a complete course as well.
1. Pilotage – covering buoys, lights and successful pilotage
2. Electronic Navigation – introducing the RYA electronic chart plotter and use of GPS.
3. Navigation – covering DR, EP, and Course to steer.
4. Tides – calculating tidal heights, tidal streams and secondary ports to a high degree of accuracy.
5. Passage Planning – not just planning but making as well.
6. Safety – everything a skipper should know about safety on board including equipment and procedures including coping with disaster, restricted visibility and heavy weather.
7. Collision Regulations – an in depth knowledge is required and this lecture guides you through the regulations.
8. Weather – two lectures. Lecture 1 covers the causes of weather both global and local while lecture 2 covers forecasting and the sources of forecasts
Collision Regulations, Navigation and Tides plus an Additional lecture covering anchoring.
3. Collision Regulations