This short quiz will help you to establish your level of knowledge.
Write down the answers then click on the link at the end of the questions to find the answers and our guidance on how to interpret your results.
Assess your knowledge – do not use any reference books
1. Would you use a nylon rope for a sheet or halyard? Give your reasons.
2. Which type of rope floats?
3. What is the difference between a lifejacket and a buoyancy aid?
4. When would you insist that a safety harness is worn and used?
5. Give two examples of a burying anchor.
6. You are planning to anchor for the night. List three factors you would take into account.
7. A reef knot is the best way to join two different sized ropes. True / False?
8. You are on port tack and appear to be on collision course with a yacht on starboard tack:
1. How would you know if a risk of collision exists?
2. What action will you take?
9. List 4 distress signals.
10. What is the magnetic course for a bearing of 200 T and variation 6E?
11. You see an arrow with 17, 35 in a Tidal Stream Atlas. What does this mean?
12. If your vessel draws 1.6m and you are approaching a sandbank with a charted depth of 1.0m what height of tide do you need to clear it by 0.4m?
13. Is it true that distances can be measured on the longitude scale of a chart?
14. How would you mark a fix, an EP and a tidal vector on your chartwork?