Which Course Answers
Your answers should be on these lines. Score 1 mark for each answer that is correct.
- No, it stretches too much and can weaken from prolonged exposure to strong sunlight.
- A lifejacket offers more buoyancy and will turn the wearer onto their back and provide head support. It is the right jacket to wear at sea in a yacht.
- A safety harness should be worn at night, in rough weather, when on deck alone and at all other times when either the skipper or crew believe it to be necessary.
- CQR (and Delta), Danforth and Bruce are common anchor types.
- Shelter from wind and tide, expected wind and weather over night, waves, access to shore, depth, type of holding.
- False – it will slip. A sheet bend or two bowlines would be OK.
- The relative bearing of the other vessel does not change. Alter course and pass astern of the other vessel.
- Flares, radio, ensign upside down, waving arms up and down, flashing SOS by torch etc.
- 194 degrees magnetic.
- They are the neap and spring tidal stream rates expressed in tenths of a knot. At neap tides the tidal stream will flow at 1.7 knots and at spring tides it will be 3.5 knots.
- 1.0 metres.
- Only at the equator. At all other latitudes there will be an error and at 50 degrees north or south the error is around 30%.
- Fix – a circle annotated by the time and log reading, EP – a triangle annotated as for the fix. Tidal vector – three arrows.
Now assess your skill level
Score 1 mark for each answer that is correct.
If you scored 11 or more then consider the RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore course.
If you had problems with questions 10 to 14 (i.e. navigation) then consider taking either the RYA Day Skipper or Tiller’s Coastal Navigation course before the RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore.
If your problems were evenly spread you should probably start with the RYA Day Skipper.
Ready to enrol with Tiller?
Click here to move to our correspondence course online order page
Still not sure?
Click here to contact us. We would be pleased to discuss your training requirements and plans and help you make your decision. Alternatively select Correspondence courses on the left of the screen to review our courses again.
What if I make the wrong choice?
Our course swap option is your ultimate reassurance. It is in addition to our warranty and your legal rights. See Terms and Conditions for detailed information.