Why Choose Tiller?
The Seven Cs
If you want friendly and professional teaching with the personal touch then here are seven reasons to choose Tiller.
Credibility. Tiller is a credible and experienced correspondence course provider with nearly 20 years' experience and RYA recognition. Written by experienced RYA Yachtmaster Instructors, our courses are updated regularly and subject to continuous improvement based on feedback from our students.
Compliance. All Tiller courses are based on the RYA's coursework so students have access to the latest exercises and exams. On successful completion of these we award the appropriate RYA course certificate.
Completeness. We pride ourselves on providing a complete course package. Depending on your course this could include:
- RYA material such as coursework, practice charts, almanac and tables.
- Tiller study guides such as chart symbols and abbreviations, nautical glossary and the RYA’s electronic chart plotter.
- Tiller study lectures which cover the core subjects of your course, use the ‘learn and reinforce’ technique and are coupled with mini exercises.
- Interactive modules designed to supplement the main study lectures and help you visualise how things work and look.
- Revision and study aids in the form of past RYA coursework and exam papers, useful printed information leaflets or Marine Accident Investigation Branch reports which help relate the course to the real world.
- Additional lectures which provide more detail on some subjects and go beyond the RYA requirements
- Revision lectures which provide help for those on advanced courses
- Software, in particular the shareware package ‘Nav Rules’, which helps with key parts of the collision regulations.
Choice. As standard we supply everything possible on the Tiller CD, but remember: you do not need a computer to study. Some items such as the RYA coursework, charts and tables and your Tiller Course Guide are always on paper; and we can supply the Tiller study lecture set printed and individually bound.
Control. Notably we send you the whole course package when you enrol. This means you can control, wherever possible, the order of your studies. Our Course Guide tells you how the course is structured, how each part relates to the RYA’s syllabus, and suggests a study time for each module. We encourage you to follow a six-stage programme to ensure you use your time effectively.
Communication. We’ll provide individual feedback throughout the course, and, by marking your work as you progress, we can spot any problem areas early and help you to overcome them. You will be assigned an individual tutor so that any problems are solved on a one to one basis. You can send your work by e-mail, mail or fax – we have no preference. Please note that the ICC course is not supported but if you have questions regarding any of the subjects we will be happy to assist.
Cost. Tiller’s course prices include all material, marking, exams, issue of certificate, support, online access, VAT (if applicable) and courier delivery to most UK mainland addresses. This means you can be sure of getting the best value course available. Other stock items such as navigation instruments and textbooks are always competitively priced.
We hope you decide that Tiller is the school for you and that you enrol with us.
Please contact us if you have any queries, or would like further information, and we will do our best to help you. Click here to contact us.